WHY DON’T YOU TURN ME LOOSE?

Forums Prison News and Views WHY DON’T YOU TURN ME LOOSE?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    brianna
    Participant

If ever there was a more apt question-statement for a prisoner to exclaim directly to the Secretary of D.O.C., then I don’t know what it would be. Pay attention to the opening words of this song:

“I was born to run, I was born to cream,
    the craziest boy you’ve ever seen.
    I gotta do it my way, or no way at all.”

That’s right, Mr. Chief Executive Officer of the Correctional Corporation:

I’m not a robot; stop attempting to suppress my dreams with your government-sponsored “Brain Gravy” more commonly referred to as a TB test, let me do it my way, and just turn me loose why don’t you?

However, as ostensible as it seems to apply direct to Prison Administrators from the mouth and viewpoint of a prisoner, this song is actually about a different type of imprisonment: the imprisonment of a free spirit whom meets a female that tries to change his ways and metaphorically “lock him up.” In other words, she’s trying to exert control over him and have him change in the attempt to conform him to her program. Again, we listen to his lyrics as they appertain to her:

“And then you came around, tried to tie me down,
    I was such a clown.
    You had to have it your way, or no way at all.”

Clearly, he’s protesting her attempts to come into his life and change his way to her way.

According to the results of my own personal research, one of the leading problems in personal relationships is: TRYING TO CHANGE THE OTHER PERSON (or expecting the other person to change). That is, instead of merely accepting the other person as is, there’s an expectation for them to conform to your paradigm. As the noted author and Self-Help guru Brian Tracy teaches us in his book “Maximum Achievement,” this is the second-most major problem in relationships because it’s a subtle form of rejection: You’re essentially saying: “You are not good enough for me the way that you are.” You’re implying that the other person is unworthy, concomitantly igniting feelings of anger and resentment.

The question necessarily begs: What’s a more appropriate course of action in this premise? I submit to you all that Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) would apply here. NLP has a central tenet, a fundamental truth presumed by NLP practitioners, which holds: “Whomsoever has the most flexible behavior in any system has the most control, and options for control, in that system.” Think about that: It literally says “If you change, then you win.” Why not consider your life as a system, choose to flex your behavior appropriately in response to whatever situation or circumstance may present, and enjoy the benefits for, and in, your own life. In the book “Maximum Achievement,” Mr. Tracy teaches us about psychosclerosis. “Psychosclerosis” literally means “hardening of the attitudes,” and is our natural tendency to fall in love with our own ideas and then vigorously defend them against anything new. And the cold part about it is that it’s based entirely in FEAR–the fear of change.

But we should NOT be afraid of change–ever–because IT IS THE ONLY CONSTANT IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE! Do you get that statement? The only thing which is ever-present is CHANGE. LOVERBOY epitomizes the concept of embracing our fear of change with this song. Again, we turn to the lyrics: he endured until he could take it no more, and then he packed his bags and flew–HIS way. Whereas us prisoners could sit here all day long and scream at D.O.C. Administrators to turn us loose, I propose to each and every one of you the following challenge:

FACE YOUR FEARS;

CURE YOUR PSYCHOSCLEROSIS;

BE FLEXIBLE IN YOUR BEHAVIOR;

AND CHANGE THOSE ASPECTS OF YOUR OWN LIVES WHICH ARE NOT CONDUCIVE TO THE ATTAINMENT OF DEVELOPMENTAL PURPOSE WHATSOEVER.

And you start that challenge today, right here–RIGHT NOW–by making a choice…. A choice between Fear, and Love.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.